How to convert MBR to GPT without data loss. Part 2
In the first part of this article, we consider the definitions of MBR and GPT, what is the difference and which technology is better for the hard drive. In this article we would like to examine the practical side of the question. How to convert MBR to GPT disk without losing data in Windows 10? There are several methods for converting MBR to GPT.
Method 1. Command prompt
You can switch from MBR to GPT (and vice versa) using the Diskpart command.
1. Press the Win + R shortcut on your keyboard to open a command prompt and start it as an administrator. Type in “diskpart” and press Enter. Then the command prompt window will appear. . If the disk does not contain partitions or volumes, go to step 5.
2. Enter “list disk” and press “Enter”. Record the number of the disc that you want to convert.
3. Enter “select drive” and press “Enter”.
4. Type “clean” and press Enter to delete all partitions or volumes on the disk.
5. Click “convert gpt” and click “Enter”.
6. Type “exit” and press Enter to exit cmd.
Method 2. Disk Management
Disk Management is a built-in tool for Windows 10. It allows you to manage partitions of the hard disk without rebooting the system, convert them to MBR or GPT.
1. Click “This Computer”> “Management”> “Disk Management”.
2. Right-click on the disk that you want to convert. You will see the inactive function “Convert to GPT disk”.
Note: If your MBR hard drive has a partition or volume that you can convert, right-click any volume on the disk, and then click “Delete Partition” or “Delete Volume”.
Method 3. Convert MBR to GPT without losing data using Gptgen
Gptgen is a nondestructive command-prompt utility that can convert partitions of a hard disk. Take these steps:
1. Press Win + R to open the command prompt and start it as an administrator.
2. In the command prompt window, type:
gptgen.exe \\. \\ physicaldrive1
Then you will see two files: primary.img and secondary.img. They contain data that will be written to disk.
3. To change the partition, just type the following in the command prompt:
gptgen.exe -w \\. \\physicaldrive1
Now you can successfully convert MBR to GPT.
Method 4: Change MBR to GPT without losing data using MBR2GPT
MBR2GPT is another command-prompt tool available in Windows 10. It can simply be launched from the Advanced Recovery Command Prompt through the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE). The method is rather complicated, so you can get more detailed information in Microsoft’s website.
With the above methods, you can easily convert MBR to GPT in Windows 10 without losing data.
As you can see, all methods of conversion are applicable in Windows 10. These methods successfully convert MBR to GPT without any data loss. But to date, there are many reasons for data loss. We wrote about it in one of our previous articles. And if at the moment you already need to restore any information or data from any storage media (hard disk, flash drive, external HDD, etc.), it is easily possible with the Magic Partition Recovery utility. Magic Partition Recovery solves two main problems: it recovers any deleted files and damaged or inaccessible disk structures.
East Imperial Soft
October 12, 2017